"I've just got back from my Myoko Powder trip (26th Feb to 5th Mar '17) with Powder Recon Tours and I'm already thinking about booking the same trip again for next year. I had a fantastic experience and I'm definitely recommending this trip to my friends and family. Thanks Powder recon for an awesome trip!!!
Why am I highly recommending this trip?
- Focused on hassle-free skiing on multiple mountains in Myokokogen - Powder recon made life super easy for me by taking care of all logistics and planning so I was able to just enjoy the Japan skiing experience (my first 1 week ski trip to Japan). This trip is ideal for ski enthusiasts who want to maximize their time on the mountains with minimal stress. Mountains were selected the night before by the guides, a hearty breakfast was ready by 7am (thanks to our cook & housekeeper, Namako) and we set off at ~8am each morning to mountains that were typically evel Powder recon will provide, and that was proved correct through the entire trip.
- Trip co-ordinator Luke always on hand to deal with any requests or small issues - Luke was always available either in the office (3min walking distance from our lodge) or at our ski lodge to address any small requests or questions such as places to eat, where to go for onsen, logistics to Nagano and ensuring the heater was always on in the equipment drying room.
- Excellent, modern ski lodge facilities - Powder recon's renovated and own designed Japan ski lodge was very comfortable and had all the modern amenities you'd want (heated floors, adjustable individual room heating, freshly grounded coffee machine). I especially liked the shower which always had hot water, perfect to soothe the sore muscles after a long but fun day skiing!
- Powder recon equipment hire shop - I didn't bring my snowboard or bindings on this trip but it didn't matter as I was able to hire very high quality equipment (local brand Green Lab Powder board) from Powder recon at a reasonable rate (~Y21k for 7 days). I was even given the option of being able to switch my snowboard if I wanted to try different styles.
- Great for solo travelers - I travelled solo on this trip but it was a great way to meet fellow ski enthusiasts from around the world (my group included people from Canada, Australia, NZ and U.K.) and we could exchange experiences and knowledge on the best places to ski. The common room/breakfast area in the lodge was the ideal place for people to socialize. Without a doubt, in our group of 13, Powder Recon tour service level and Japan skiing were regarded as top class.
Thanks once again to Powder Recon for a great trip."
Charis Holt, Brisbane
"I just wanted to write you a quick note to say a HUGE thank you for making Liam and mine's time in Myoko WONDERFUL!
You customer service and attention to detail was outstanding. I would (and already have) highly recommend Powder Recon to my friends and family.
Perhaps Liam and I will see you in a year or two for another skiing holiday (after this year we have decided we will definitely be skiing once a year).
Thanks for making my trip so special."
Kate Patience and Mike Morse, Melbourne
"Thanks for a great week at Akakura Onsen - we all had a fantastic time and mike and I loved our first true powder experience !
Good Luck with your future endeavors"
"We spent two weeks with Powder Recon, one week in a secret location another at Myoko. The way Luke and Bryce and their crew looked after us, taking care of all the details, accommodation and most important getting us to a different ski field everyday was more than what was expected. The daily meetings, the ski fields that our guides recommended everything rang like clockwork.
Powder Recon have a fantastic bunch of people working for them and their local knowledge of the ski fields made our skiing holiday more than memorable.
The lodge at Myoko is built to the highest standard, and the cooks makes a great breakfast every morning.
Their help and advice in other matters was also beyond what you would every expect.
Powder Recon was recommended to us and we are glad that we took their recommendation.
All going to plan, we will definitely be going with Powder Recon again next year.
Do yourself a favor, if you are going to Japan to ski or snow board go with Powder Recon"
"After an unforgettable tour in 2017 I’ve just arrived home after another 2 weeks of powdery bliss with the Powder Recon team (one week on tour, one week in Myoko) and can’t recommend them highly enough:
• Excellent guides
• Deep powder
• No crowds
• No hassles
• Fantastic accommodation
• Exceptional food
• Beautiful Onsen
Every member of the Powder Recon team is friendly, hard working and passionate about what they do; their enthusiasm and energy is infectious. They go above and beyond to provide an exceptional experience, and in my view they absolutely deliver."
"Went to Myoko with Powder Recon late Jan-early Feb 2012. We had about 4 metres of snow in about ten days! Bryce and the Powder Recon staff were fantastic.
If you want a holiday that is all about the skiing or boarding, rather than resort partying, I could not recommend Myoko highly enough. Each night the Powder Recon guides met with the group to choose where to ski the next day based on their local knowledge of where the best conditions would be. You could choose to do your own thing at one of the three local hills which were serviced by a shuttle bus from near the accommodation, or go with the PR guides in their 4 WD vehicles to one of the other resorts in the area.
Other than great powder snow, which was knee to thigh deep every day I was there, was that you had the whole place pretty much to yourself. The longest wait in the lift line was for the other PR guests in front of you, but only if you happened to be the last one down the hill! Most weekdays there would only be about two people every ten chairs!
The accommodation was traditional Japanese style which was very comfortable and added to the whole cultural experience, as did relaxing in the onsens to recover after each days riding. The food was sensational and the local people were very friendly.
The quantity and quality of the snow and the service, guiding and professionalism of all the Powder Recon crew made this trip without doubt, my most enjoyable ski holiday ever. I will definitely be going back to explore some of the other mountains in the area with them."
"If it’s your very first time to Japan or you are a seasoned Japow addict these guys are the best!!
This was our 3rd consecutive tour with PR and once again they delivered the goods. Owner Bryce’s passion for the snow and tireless efforts to give his guests the best experience possible stems from his over 16 years in Japan and riding over 200 Japanese resorts. His passion for powder and professionalism flows through to all the staff whose commitment to the job is outstanding, they go above and beyond to make sure that everybody is looked after.
This year we had Bryce, Elke and Hugo guiding us....our crews skill level was from intermediate to seasoned expert (that’s you Gus). Our guides split the crew according to ability and everyone had a ball! Safety was paramount with Avi awareness training and good tree riding info given on the first day. If you have ever arrived at a new resort and stood at the bottom armed with a trail map and maybe a little online advice you know that feeling of 'where do I start'?? - With Powder Recon there is none of that, they have scoped out all the best places and know where to go, which lifts open first, which side of the mountain gets good snow and even the best cafes - you just ski or ride.
The accommodation and food in the PR tours are excellent both for the cultural experience and value for money.
Unless you are local, can speak Japanese and have time to scope out each Ryokan or Hotel you will not get a better experience. Their experience also pays off when going out for dinner at night, they know where to go, how to order and what to order.....having local knowledge opens up a whole new world of Japanese deliciousness!
We all go to Japan for the pow....PR deliver the best available and go above and beyond to get you the very best lines, combine this with good communication from start to finish, nice transport, excellent guiding and a cool Japanese experience, Powder Recon gets a 10/10 rating from me!."